The university remains open, with emergency management protocols activated and operational modifications and precautions in place. Instruction has transitioned online for summer sessions. Read the latest update posted 6/2/2020 at 6:30 p.m.
Read the Student Affairs Covid-19 Response. Updated March 31, 2020 at 9:20 a.m.
Trainers report to: Assistant Director for Fitness
Personal Training NASM Prep Course dates for Spring 2020: Postponed
Students who do not yet hold a personal training certification may apply for a personal training position after completion of the above course. All dates and times are mandatory. Additionally, successful candidates will pass a comprehensive written exam and complete a movement interview with the Assistant Director for Fitness.
The UREC Personal Trainer is responsible for delivering educational and tailored exercise experiences to a diverse population. Personal trainers work with clients of various fitness backgrounds to provide fitness consultations, assessments, and safe customized programing. The aim for the personal trainer is to assist clients in setting and achieving SMART goals through scientifically back approaches to behavior change and exercise science.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Perform, interpret, and explain fitness assessments.
- Abide by and uphold all facility and program policies.
- Program personal training sessions customized towards clients fitness goals.
- Effectively and professionally communicate and collaborate with supervisors, and clients/participants across multiple platforms (email, text, phone etc) in a timely manner.
- Adhere to scientifically backed exercise science practices and principles issued through your certifying agency.
- Quickly build positive rapport with clients.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of all client records.
- Remain in the scope of practice of a personal trainer.
- Maintain a copy of all client records and workout programs.
- Consistently ensure UREC training calendars are updated with all tracked client sessions.
- Positively market services through participation in special events and/or team tabling efforts.
- Provide exceptional customer service to all clients by providing program information and answering questions according to guidelines.
- Aid in the enforcement of University Recreation policies and procedures.
Qualifications for Hire:
- National certification, such as ACSM, NSCA, ACE, NASM, etc.
- Trainers that do not have certification at time of hire are required to shadow a total of 7 sessions with a current UREC Personal Trainer and register for a test date by the seventh session.
- Good time management skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Dedication to University Recreation and a desire to support its mission.