Assistant Director of Fitness
Minimum of one scheduled office hour per day (Monday-Friday)
The Fitness Programmer is responsible for assisting the Assistant Director for Fitness with the daily management of Group Fitness classes at the Student Recreation Center, Quinn Recreation Center, and Mt. Mitchell Life Fitness Centre. This will include staff and program supervision; in-service training; special event programming; program promotion; equipment inventory; risk management; and policy development.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Help, plan, facilitate, and coordinate group fitness in-services/meetings/specialty trainings.
- Help, plan and facilitate at least 2 special events for the semester.
- Keep current records of inventory (1x/semester).
- Maintain current records of ertifications for instructor's files; make sure files are updated and alert instructor when CPR/BBP expiration is approaching.
- Maintain DAR and Indemnity Forms in designated binders.
- Make recommendations for aerobics equipment purchases.
- Update and develop staff manuals.
- Assist with development of Staff incentive / tracking progress and rewarding staff.
- Conduct Staff evaluations—conduct and update Assistant Director on results.
- Assist in Group Fitness class scheduling
- Enter statistics from DAR into Excel documents.
- Warrant Disciplinary reports when needed.
- Serve as a good role model for the staff.
- Relay feedback to the department in effort to better the program.
- Closely monitor and track all substitutions within the group fitness program.
- Act as the main point of contact for communicating with the group fitness staff.
- Assist the Assistant Director with the Group Fitness Instructor Training course.
Qualifications for Hire:
- Must have worked a minimum of one semester as Group Fitness Instructor.
- Good time management skills.
- General knowledge in all areas of Group Fitness (specific knowledge in mind/body or cardio depending on position applying for).
- Excellent communication skills.
- Must demonstrate leadership skills.
- Knowledge of UREC’s policies and procedures and the ability to enforce them.
- Dedication to University Recreation and a desire to support its mission.
Condition of Employment:
- Accepted candidate will be notified of their position and be required to attend a mandatory training session for their position.
- Must be available the week before school starts to program and facilitate Group Fitness training.
- Attend weekly staff meetings and in-service training sessions as scheduled.
- The Programmer should consider this position as their first non-academic priority. To fulfill the responsibilities of the job, and to successfully serve the needs of Group Fitness and its employees, programmers should not have any other significant work or co-curricular commitments (more than twelve hours per week).
- Programmers must be committed to working together, and to helping each other to develop creative ideas and solutions.
Applications will be sent out through email and will be made available on ASULearn. Please submit application, resume, and cover letter to Assistant Director for Fitness, Brandon Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in having one of our instructors or trainers teach a special event class or fitness lecture, please download and submit the form below.