Group Fitness Instructors/Assistants
Reports to: Area Programmer & Assistant Director for Fitness
Prerequisites: All applicants must attend the Group Fitness Instructor Training Course taught in the fall. Other options include becoming nationally certified by AFAA, ACE, etc. and current certification in CPR. Please look under the group fitness tab for more information on training dates and certifications.
Group Fitness Instructors and Assistants are responsible for teaching fun, safe and effective group fitness classes, as well as providing education to patrons on the benefits of a healthy lifestyle. He or she will instruct and work with senior instructors to teach group fitness classes such as step, spin, cardioboxing, sculpting, pilates, or yoga.
Instructors and/or Assistants are expected to treat coworkers within University Recreation with respect and consider them to be your "teammates" on staff. While instructing classes the supervisor on duty will provide answers to any questions you may have. The sequence of command thereafter is to report to the Cardio or Yoga/Pilates Programmer, then the Assistant Director of Fitness and finally the Director of University Recreation. It is the responsibility of the Group Fitness Instructors/Assistants to carry out the duties and abide by the policies listed below:
- Provide a safe and fun environment for participant
- Promote knowledge of proper group fitness components, i.e.: warm up, aerobic exercise, flexibility, cool down, etc.
- Be knowledgeable in techniques and dynamics of Group Fitness
- Be knowledgeable in a variety of Group Fitness classes
- Provide customer service to the patrons
- Maintain the Group Fitness equipment and room
- Knowledge the University Recreation (UREC) policies
- Participate in Continuing Education Credits (CEC's or CEU's)
- Be sure all group fitness equipment is clean and appropriate for use by participants
- Maintain the group fitness area in a neat and orderly fashion. Mats should be clean and stacked neatly against the wall. Resistance balls should be on the carts. Dumbbells should be replaced and reorganized. Bikes should be clean and placed in an orderly fashion in the spin room
- Pick up trash and leave the group fitness area clean
- Record statistics after each class that is instructed
- Be sure all CD’s are placed back in the appropriate CD holder
- Be prepared to execute emergency procedures established by University Recreation as needed
- Be loyal and maintain a professional attitude and image consistent with the mission of the program
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Coordinator of Fitness
If you are interested in having one of our instructors or trainers teach a special event class or fitness lecture, please download and submit the form below.